Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Prayer for Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving

O God,

Thank you for the blessings that I recognize.

Thank you for the blessings that I don’t.


Thank you for the events that I immediately see as blessings.

Thank you for the events that take a long time to develop
the perspective to see as the blessings they in fact are.


Thank you for my true friends, for my fair weather
friends, for my virtual friends, and for my enemies.

Thank you for what I learn from all
of them about people and about life.


Thank you for what I know, for what I don’t know,
for what I think I know, and for what I’ll never know.

Thank you for the wisdom, on those rare
occasions that I have it, to know the difference.


Thank you for Muslims, for Jews, for Hindus, for Buddhists,
for Sikhs, for Christians, and for people of all faiths.

Thank you for the vast majority of those in all faiths
who live out their faith in ways that make it possible
and even easy for us to give thanks for each other.


Thank you for the possibility of learning
more and more about who I truly am.

Thank you that with greater maturity comes the ability
to be less proud of and less appalled by what I discover.


Thank you for the privilege of an ever-developing,
ever-changing, and ever-evolving relationship with you.

Thank you for those times that I can see and
hear you in unexpected people and places.


Thank you for blessings.

Thank you for all of them.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment