Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Prayer for Saturday, December 17, 2011

“Surely Not I…”

Lord Jesus,

It’s an admittedly fine but nonetheless important distinction: when you said that one of the Twelve would betray you, Judas asked, “Surely not I, Teacher?” while the rest asked “Surely not I, Lord?”

Judas betrayed you.

Of course, the rest denied you by words or by actions or by both.

So even if we acknowledge and serve you as Lord, we will still fail and fall.

Grant though, O Lord, that we will have the kind of submitted and obedient relationship with you that will lead us always to try to stay close to you and always to try to be true to you.

You are a great Teacher and we learn from you.

Be our Lord that we might live in you.

Amen.

“When it was evening, he took his place with the twelve; and while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.” And they became greatly distressed and began to say to him one after another, “Surely not I, Lord?” He answered, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that one by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that one not to have been born.” Judas, who betrayed him, said, “Surely not I, Rabbi?” He replied, “You have said so.” (Matthew 26:20-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment