Monday, December 19, 2011

A Prayer for Monday, December 19, 2011

“I Will Go Ahead of You”

We praise you, O Lord, that even though you know we will fail, you nonetheless plan to meet us on the other side of our failure.

We praise you, O Lord, that even when we do in fact fail, you nonetheless in fact meet us on the other side of our failure.

Still—help us to grow in our commitment and willingness to give up our lives so that we will in our lives and by our lives become less and less likely to fail you and more and more likely to bear bold and honest witness to our relationship with you through our risk-taking and self-denying actions.

Amen.

“Then Jesus said to them, ‘You will all become deserters because of me this night; for it is written, “I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.” But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.’ Peter said to him, ‘Though all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Truly I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.’ Peter said to him, ‘Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.’ And so said all the disciples.” (Matthew 26:31-35)

No comments:

Post a Comment